Will 10.2 also ship with a very stale NTP?

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Fri Jul 10 23:58:28 UTC 2015

It's me again with my annual NTP whinge.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-October/075580.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-September/079830.html

Here we are at the start of another release cycle and 10-STABLE still
includes (patched) ntp 4.2.4p8 software that was released in December
2009.
 - ntp 4.2.6 superseded 4.2.4 and was also released in December 2009.
 - ntp 4.2.8 superseded 4.2.6 and was released in December 2014.

Will 10.2 be released with a version of ntp that is two generations old
and that has been legacy since December 2009?

I am really pleased to see that there has been some recent activity with
respect to ntp in -CURRENT, and that the latest point release (4.2.8p3)
has actually been imported.  Is there any likelihood of this being
MFC'd before releng/10.2 is branched?

Thank you for your patience with me, and thank you to committers who are
working in this space but perhaps not with an eye to -STABLE.  I just
think it's really sad that we are shipping very old ntp software with
lots of patches when a current release is available.

I also note that phk@ was working on an ntp client which he hoped to
offer as a replacement but that is presumably not ready yet.  I also
note that we have current versions of ntp available in ports; but I'm
talking about what we ship in the base system.

--
John Marshall