Stale NTP software included in FreeBSD (RELEASE/STABLE/CURRENT)

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Wed Sep 3 06:10:43 UTC 2014

All of the following FreeBSD releases included stale NTP software at the
time of their release.

  8.3-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p5)
  8.4-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p5)
  9.0-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p8)
  9.1-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p8)
  9.2-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p8)
  9.3-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p8)
 10.0-RELEASE  (ntp 4.2.4p8)

ntp 4.2.4 is the version that shipped in all of the above releases and
is also included in 10-STABLE and 11-CURRENT at present.  ntp 4.2.4 was
superseded by the ntp 4.2.6 release on 12-Dec-2009.  Is there any
interest in getting a supported version of the ntp software into the
upcoming 10.1 release?  I would have thought that the latest patch
release of the stable ntp version (4.2.6p5 24-DEC-2011) would be
appropriate?  I know that the ntp folks are working on releasing 4.2.8
but it isn't quite there yet.

I understand that this is a volunteer project and that volunteers don't
have time to do everything.  I'm just waving the flag in case this is
something that may have been overlooked.

Thank you to all those committers who look after vendor imports for all
of the contributed software that helps make up the FreeBSD releases.

--
John Marshall