Re: On what days are the git servers available to obtain the ports tree?

From: Chris <portmaster_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 20:37:47 UTC
On 2022-05-02 13:14, Jose Quinteiro wrote:
> On 5/2/22 12:55, Chris wrote:

>>> I think you may have provided me with both the problem && solution.
>>> I'm performing
>>> all of this within a jail(8) && my copy of git is not the newest; the
>>> resources are
>>> also less than those of the host. So I would venture a guess that at
>>> *least* one of
>>> your proposed solution gets it for me.
>> OK I tried
>> #git config --global http.postBuffer 524288000
>> but the results were the same. :-(
>>
>> So I upgraded git to git-2.36.0 in that jail and again, the results were
>> the same. :-(
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestions, Jay.
>> Looks like I'll have to cobble up a script and add it to cron. To
>> attempt to get a copy
>> of the ports tree once a day. Not stopping attempts until successful>
> Is there a reason why you can't do a git pull to accomplish this?
Thanks for the reply, Jose.
Sure.

> What I've done in the past when I had trouble cloning the Freebsd-hosted
> repo is to clone the Github-hosted mirror, and then set the origin to
> the Freebsd repo.
I can clone the github hosted mirror && make the changes. But that
removes the one-true-source factor, adds additional steps to a procedure
that should "Just Work".
Which is the real question. Why doesn't it Just Work? Clearly there is a
problem
with the FreeBSD git based system. All of the mailing lists work, I'm on 8 of
them.
All the dist servers work. I can get the dist images w/o any trouble. The
online
man pages work. The web pages work. But the git(1) service(s) don't. Why &&
shouldn't
everyone care as to why they don't?

Thanks again! :-)

> Thanks,