Re: On what days are the git servers available to obtain the ports tree?

From: Jose Quinteiro <freebsd_at_quinteiro.org>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 23:43:06 UTC
There's no need to CC me. I'm subscribed to the list.

On 5/2/22 13:37, Chris wrote:
>> Is there a reason why you can't do a git pull to accomplish this?
> Thanks for the reply, Jose.
> Sure.
Still don't understand why you can't just do a "git pull". That will
fetch and apply just the changes from upstream, instead of
re-downloading 27+ years of history* uselessly and pointlessly.

>> What I've done in the past when I had trouble cloning the Freebsd-hosted
>> repo is to clone the Github-hosted mirror, and then set the origin to
>> the Freebsd repo.
> I can clone the github hosted mirror && make the changes. But that
> removes the one-true-source factor, adds additional steps to a procedure
> that should "Just Work".
I don't follow the one-true-source thing. If two git repos have the same
commit hashes, they are copies of the same repo. That is one of the
essential properties of git. A git pull after setting the origin to the
Freebsd remote should be a no-op. You can use that to verify if you're
worried.

> Which is the real question. Why doesn't it Just Work? Clearly there is a
> problem
> with the FreeBSD git based system.
I'm guessing the problem is people downloading the full history of the
repo over and over again for no good reason. Github has more bandwidth.
Use them.

If you insist on doing it this way, at least do a shallow clone.

Thanks,
Jose

* https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/log/?ofs=582500