Confused about i915kms on 12.1

John Kennedy warlock at phouka.net
Sun Oct 13 20:12:59 UTC 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:35:41PM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> I've been running 12.0-REL on my X1 Carbon 3rd Gen happily with xorg,
> but after installing 12.1-RC1, the laptop reboots when loading the
> i915kms driver. If I comment out the line in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
>
> the laptop boots, albeit without graphics. The above comes from the
> 12.0R release notes, and I didn't see any updates to this in the 12.1
> release notes. I've tried drm-kmod from both ports and packages with
> the same result. Did something change with 12.1? What should I check?
> TIA

  Not sure how your upgraded your box, but make sure that the driver is
compiled for the new kernel.  KBI breakage can easily behave like that.

  I won't be in front of a box with that setup until Monday, but from
memory, graphics/drm-kmod pulls in graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (at
least on my system with it's build-in Intel video card).

  If you do something like this, but substitute your .ko file for m4
below, you should be able to validate the package it came from and the
kernel version it was targeted at:

	$ pkg which /usr/local/bin/*m4
	/usr/local/bin/gm4 was installed by package m4-1.4.18_1,1

	$ pkg info m4 | grep -i version
	Version        : 1.4.18_1,1
	        FreeBSD_version: 1201000

  That 1201000 means that it was compiled for 12.1 in my case.

  Have you overridden the default package location, leaving it aimed at 12.0?

  What do you mean by trying it from "ports"?  How did you refresh that?

  (I'm just fishing for something that would have survived the upgrade
   process and been locked onto 12.0 vs 12.1 and stopping you from
   getting a good, recompiled version installed.)