VT switch to console disabled once X starts

Matthieu Volat mazhe at alkumuna.eu
Tue Oct 21 17:55:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:47:42 +0200
Jean-Sébastien Pédron <dumbbell at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 14.10.2014 11:50, Matthieu Volat wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi!
>
> > I've had this problem with a HP Z400 workstation which is currently
> > running 10.1-RC2, but had it since I put FreeBSD 10 on it: using
> > either syscons or vt, I can see the console output when the system
> > boots.
> >
> > But once the X server start (through xdm, using the nvidia driver),
> > if I try to switch to another screen, I get only a black screen, but
> > I can get back to vt #9 and get my X session back. If I don't set xdm
> > in /etc/ttys, I can use the consoles...
>
> To be sure I understand, you have a non-working console if you start X
> with xdm from /etc/ttys.
>
> What about startx(1)? Do you have a working console in this case?

Console seems to be "disabled" when X is started, either with xdm or startx (to xfce): I just switch to a black screen after that.

But it seems keyboard input is working: if I type stuff then enter, I'll see a login attempt in /var/log/message

After that, if I switch to tty9, I'll get back to X.

> And is this with vt(4) only? In other words, does it work as expected
> with syscons?

I have the problem with both syscons and vt (vga).

--
Matthieu Volat <mazhe at alkumuna.eu>
tel: 06 84 54 39 43