VT switch to console disabled once X starts

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 21 15:47:48 UTC 2014

On 14.10.2014 11:50, Matthieu Volat wrote:
> Hello,

Hi!

> I've had this problem with a HP Z400 workstation which is currently
> running 10.1-RC2, but had it since I put FreeBSD 10 on it: using
> either syscons or vt, I can see the console output when the system
> boots.
>
> But once the X server start (through xdm, using the nvidia driver),
> if I try to switch to another screen, I get only a black screen, but
> I can get back to vt #9 and get my X session back. If I don't set xdm
> in /etc/ttys, I can use the consoles...

To be sure I understand, you have a non-working console if you start X
with xdm from /etc/ttys.

What about startx(1)? Do you have a working console in this case?

And is this with vt(4) only? In other words, does it work as expected
with syscons?

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron