more automated fetch of ISO-IMAGES & ports

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Apr 7 18:15:37 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:13:25 -0400
> From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> BitTorrent is NOT always a good solution .
>
> I tried it on an approximately 4.5 Giga Bytes iso which came out to be
> unusable because
>
> - direct download is taken minimum 12 hours with a 1024 kilo bits per second
> down load speed ,
>   in average 18 hours from Turkey .
>
> - BitTorrent download is reaching in average to 45 hours due to 256 kilo
> bits up loads where
>  my PC is also used as a server for down loaders to share my downloaded
> parts .
>
> I am not escaping to help to other people but to find a 45 hours continuous
> time without destructive voltage fluctuations and nearly dedicate a PC so
> much time is difficult .

No, bittorrent is should not replace conventional tranfers. It would be
an additional way to distribute large data sets (like the DVD image).

There are many cases, like this one, where it is not a good fit. That is
true of most tools. Where it is a good fit, it works extremely well.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)