more automated fetch of ISO-IMAGES & ports

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Tue Apr 7 13:20:06 UTC 2009

Hi stable@ people,
Ref my:
> Found manually on
> 	ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2
> 	but slow at 60 KB/s
> Faster @ 100K from USA
> 	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2
> 	but I'd feel guilty loading main site & intercontinental band width.

Erwin Lansing emailed me off list:
> ... Are you sure you hit the US mirror?  ftp.freebsd.org is a DNS round
> robin between a US and a danish mirror, so my guess would be that
> if you'd have hit the danish one, it would have been faster. ...

Thanks Erwin, You're right, nslookup:
	Name:   ftp.freebsd.org
	Address: 87.51.34.132
	Address: 204.152.184.73
For me in Munich Germany the Danish mirror
	87.51.34.132 ftp.beastie.tdk.net.
is 10 times faster than USA.
	204.152.184.73 freebsd.isc.org.

But I wouldn't want to load Denmark needlessly either, so look
forward to reading follow up I see starting re. bitorrent &
fastest_cvsup etc. Thanks all !

Cheers,
Julian
--