more automated fetch of ISO-IMAGES & ports

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Apr 7 14:45:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Julian Stacey wrote:
 > Hi stable@ people,
 > Ref my:
 > > Found manually on
 > > 	ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2
 > > 	but slow at 60 KB/s
 > > Faster @ 100K from USA
 > > 	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2
 > > 	but I'd feel guilty loading main site & intercontinental band width.
 >
 > Erwin Lansing emailed me off list:
 > > ... Are you sure you hit the US mirror?  ftp.freebsd.org is a DNS round
 > > robin between a US and a danish mirror, so my guess would be that
 > > if you'd have hit the danish one, it would have been faster. ...
 >
 > Thanks Erwin, You're right, nslookup:
 > 	Name:   ftp.freebsd.org
 > 	Address: 87.51.34.132
 > 	Address: 204.152.184.73
 > For me in Munich Germany the Danish mirror
 > 	87.51.34.132 ftp.beastie.tdk.net.
 > is 10 times faster than USA.
 > 	204.152.184.73 freebsd.isc.org.
 >
 > But I wouldn't want to load Denmark needlessly either, so look
 > forward to reading follow up I see starting re. bitorrent &
 > fastest_cvsup etc. Thanks all !

http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/

usually works for me .. doesn't show RTT or bandwidth directly, but
Edwin might even share his secret recipe, offered enough $beer ..

The 10 day score overview indeed shows .de mirrors improving yesterday
from a not so hot score recently, and 7.2-BETA only on a few so far.

cheers, Ian