Failure to make world for RELENG_6_4

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Sun Apr 5 21:39:48 PDT 2009

Xin LI wrote:
> >> misc/133264
> >
> > This one however is not so simple. I have tried building world under
> > VMWare ESXi 3.5.0 Update 3 (FreeBSD as a guest OS) and the building
> > process crashed occasionally if more than 1 CPU is allocated to the
> > virtual machine. The failures are due to various processes like sh,
> > sed or cc1 dupming core on signal 11 during the build.
> >
> > The problem seems to be SMP related because enabling only 1 virtual
> > CPU removes the problem. Of course it is also VMWare related.
>
> - From what you have described, it's likely that there is some memory
> issue.  The FreeBSD Virtual Memory system tends to use all physical
> memory and this could be a problem for faulty memory chips (i.e. it's
> more easy for FreeBSD to trigger problems).

How is this connected with the number of virtual CPUs?
When I give only 1 CPU to the virtual machine, the problem is gone.

> If you have access to the host system and possible, would you please try
> to install FreeBSD directly and see if the problem still occurs?

Sorry, I cannot do that. This host is already running several Windows
servers and has been thoroughly tested before production use.

I have however run Memtest-86 v3.2 in the virtual machine for
2 hours and it has found no errors.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru