BIND 9.3.1 - How to get rid of AAAA querys?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 17 08:49:57 PDT 2007

> From: Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:36:30 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> since we are talking about IPv6, how do people genarlly find it on FreeBSD?
> I use 6to4 in a number of places, but have had a few problems with it
> unfortunately - one of the most annoying being dropped TCP connections
> which lead to me turning it off on my home machine. The other problem I
> had was connecting through the 6to4 machine freezing for 30 seconds
> or so after they start getting data, and thehn returning the rest of
> the data a few seconds later. Performance has also been poor compared
> to IPv4. Has anyone else has experineces like this ? I only have 6to4
> available to test with, so this may be 6to4 specific I guess (my
> performance tests have been between to 6to4 machines compared to the same
> machines using IP4 only, so the packets should be taking the same route
> as I understand it)
>
> Any comments?

I have been running IPv6 on all of my FreeBSD work systems for
years. All of my mail (including this message) are sent/received by IPv6
and I have not had any problems, but I am on a network that is fully
IPv6 enabled, so no tunnels are involved.

I do know that there will be a major re-write of IPv6 support in V7 to
integrate the KAME code into the rest of the network as KAME is not
longer separately developed. I'm not sure how this will impact things,
but it seems to be working well on two systems of mine running
-current. V7 will also be the end of the GIANT locked network stack
(though some drivers are still under giant) and the replacement of IPSEC
with IPSEC_FAST.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)