2 x quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:01:30 PST 2007

> > Thank you for your research. I think you can get more %sys with 4-core
> > processors. For me 2xquad-core systems are now completely unusable as
> > PHP backends.
>
> I am getting very alarmed by this discussion as we just took delivery
> of ten 2x quad core systems to be deployes as heavy webservers in order to
> replace the dual core ones. probably under 7.0 as 6.3 wont boot PAE and
> they have 16 gigs of memory.

I'm running two DL360 G5 webservers each with two quad-core cpu's.
Each have 8 GB of ram, one is 2 Ghz and the other is 2.33 Ghz. They
run just fine. These two webservers have twice the weight of three
opterons with two dual-core cpu's on our coyote load-balancer.

The servers are so fast I had to adjust the read- and write-size in
fstab for the nfs-mounts. Using 8kb I got the 'nfs server not
responding - alive again' during peak on the new servers. Using a 2kb
size instead solved my problem. They handle twice as much traffic as
the 4-way-opterons.

The quad-cores run 7.0 beta2 with ule, php, apache.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare