network performance 6.1 stable vs 4.9

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Fri May 25 12:31:56 UTC 2007

Hello List,

We have a network appliance that is currently based on 4.9. We are in
the process of releasing
a new version based on 6.1 stable.

In our testing using nttcp thru the appliance we see insignifant
difference in thruput between the 2
versions in a controlled environment - aproximately 94mbs on a 100mb lan.

We have a person that is testing the both system inhouse surfing out
over the internet on our T1
link and he complains that he is consistently seeing the 6.1 version
being much slower than the
4.9 version (on the same hardware).
He has been comparing the 6.1 system to 4.9 system for a couple of weeks
and continues to insist the 6.1 version is much slower.

Are there any sysctl tunables that may affect performance going over the
internet
with a slower link, dropped packets, etc that could cause this?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)