network performance 6.1 stable vs 4.9

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:03:49 UTC 2007

> We have a network appliance that is currently based on 4.9. We are in
> the process of releasing
> a new version based on 6.1 stable.
>
> In our testing using nttcp thru the appliance we see insignifant
> difference in thruput between the 2
> versions in a controlled environment - aproximately 94mbs on a 100mb lan.
>
> Are there any sysctl tunables that may affect performance going over the
> internet
> with a slower link, dropped packets, etc that could cause this?

Have you tried

options         DEVICE_POLLING

in the kernel? If you want to try yuo can find a section in the file
NOTES located the same place as your kernel.

Is the kernel cusomized? Have you enabled -O2 as optimization? Do you
consider release 6.2 rather than 6.1?

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare