PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed May 24 13:47:48 PDT 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> Is any of this stuff well documented other than in NOTES?  I can
> see what
> each setting does, but don't really have a feel for *why* I'd need to
> increase a given setting, what the drawback is to increasing it, or
> why it
> was so low in the first place.

SYSV IPC falls into the black art part of the universe,
unfortunately. You really have to dig into the application (ie,
postgres in this case) to determine how much of those resources it
wants.

> For that matter, why does this stuff have to be manually configured?
> Couldn't the kernel automatically expand a lot of these numbers as
> needed?

Some are only settable at boot time because they make fixed sized
structures (yes, still in this day and age...)

I don't know the drawbacks of making them larger than necessary, but
with multi-gig RAM servers I don't worry about it too much.