PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed May 24 09:15:03 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 09:11, Vivek Khera wrote:

> no. not seen it.
>
> did you have a custom kernel with higher SHM settings on 6.0?

Nope.  I didn't touch the kernel config at all (it includes GENERIC and then
adds a couple of nonrelated settings).

> In any case, here is what you do:

Bumping shmall did the trick, but semmsl was pretty low so I bumped it up
just in case.

Is any of this stuff well documented other than in NOTES?  I can see what
each setting does, but don't really have a feel for *why* I'd need to
increase a given setting, what the drawback is to increasing it, or why it
was so low in the first place.

For that matter, why does this stuff have to be manually configured?
Couldn't the kernel automatically expand a lot of these numbers as needed?
--
Kirk Strauser