PostgreSQL uses more memory on 6.1?

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 24 16:24:49 PDT 2006

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> Bumping shmall did the trick, but semmsl was pretty low so I bumped it up
> just in case.
>
> Is any of this stuff well documented other than in NOTES?  I can see what
> each setting does, but don't really have a feel for *why* I'd need to
> increase a given setting, what the drawback is to increasing it, or why it
> was so low in the first place.

For the configuration of IPC for Postgresql, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

And scroll down to the section for FreeBSD.

Unfortunately, that whole section on kernel resources is a bit hidden
away - it usually takes me a couple of attempts to find it!

cheers

Mark