Trouble with NFSd under 6.1-Stable, any ideas?

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Sun May 14 14:54:20 PDT 2006

Howard Leadmon wrote:
>    Hello All,
>
>  I have been running FBSD a long while, and actually running since the 5.x
> releases on the server I am having troubles with.   I basically have a small
> network and just use NIS/NFS to link my various FBSD and Solaris machines
> together.
>
>  This has all been running fine up till a few days ago, when all of a sudden
> NFS came to a crawl, and CPU usage so high the box appears to freeze almost.
> When I had 6.1-RC running all seemed well, then came the announcement for the
> official 6.1 release, so I did the cvs updates, made world, kernel, and ran
> mergemaster to get everything up to the 6.1 stable version.
>
>  Now after doing this, something is wrong with NFS.   It works, it will return
> information and open files, just it's very very slow, and while performing a
> request the CPU spike is astounding.  A simple du of my home directory can
> take minutes, and machine all but locks up if the request is done over NFS.
> Here is top snip:
>
>   PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>   497 root         1   4    0  1252K   780K -      2  50:42 188.48% nfsd
>

>  This is a nice IBM eServer with dual P4-XEON's and a couple GB or RAM on a
> disk array, and locally is screams, heck NFS used to scream till I updated.  I
> am not really sure what info would be useful in debugging, so won't post tons
> of misc junk in this eMail, but if anyone has any ideas as to how best to
> figure out and resolve this issue it would sure be appreicated...

Are you running rpc.lockd?  I've had very bad luck with it since
sometime in the 5.x series... especially with it interoperating with
Solaris.  I submitted a PR on it, but it's apparently broken in about X
ways.  If possible, I would suggest living without rpc.lockd for now (if
you're currently living with it that is)

Other than that issue, NFS itself has been working nicely for me.