watchdog network card

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Mar 27 10:46:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 07:37, Albert Shih wrote:

> > cat /var/log/messages
> >
> > Mar 25 21:49:29 rapace kernel: re0: 2 link states coalesced
> > Mar 25 21:49:29 rapace kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
> > Mar 25 21:49:31 rapace kernel: re0: 2 link states coalesced
> > Mar 25 21:49:31 rapace kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Mar 25 21:49:45 rapace kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
> > Mar 25 21:49:46 rapace kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
>
> I don't have exactly same problem because when my bge0 going down he never
> comme back. I just stay in down and I just have lots of message like
>

>         bge0 watchdog timeout problems
>         fxp1 watchdog timeout problems
>

> Any idea ?

is your card in polling mode ?

it seems that since a month almost all NICs are having the timeout/up-down
trouble on releng_6 and it is worse when running SMP kernel

It seems that sometimes and IRQ conflict is envolved and setting the
IRQs/Slots better the timeout do go away or running the cards in polling mode
also helps

For FXP you may also try to download the microcode with `ifconfig fxp0 link0`

João