VFS MFC testers wanted

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Mar 7 18:24:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:15:59AM -0800, David Kirchner wrote:

> Do you have a list of the PRs that this affects and/or resolves?

I don't know of any relevant PRs, but I haven't looked very hard.  The
bugs Jeff has been fixing are mostly those I've been able to reproduce
myself in testing.

> I'm curious, specifically, about kern/84589. I believe it may be
> related to snapshots in some way, but I don't know. I'm not going to
> be able to test the patch on these servers, unfortunately, as they're
> fully in production now. The servers are stable now with
> background_fsck="NO", but "YES" is still the default (last I checked).

You need to enable debugging, specifically KDB, DDB, INVARIANTS,
INVARIANT_SUPPORT, DEBUG_LOCKS and DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS (ideally with the
patch applied, as it gives more useful debugging).  Then reproduce the
deadlock condition, break to DDB and do 'show lockedvnods' and 'wh
<pid>' where <pid> are the processes listed as holding locks.

> Also: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/todo.html
>
> The todo page mentions deadlocks but doesn't link to any specific
> PRs/threads that discuss them. Are these fixed with this MFC?

Some deadlocks are resolved, yes.  There are other snapshot-related
deadlocks that are not fixed with this patch, but which Jeff and
others are still working on.

Kris