Failed disk sectors

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat Mar 4 01:23:39 UTC 2006

I have a large disk that has several failed sectors.  The drive
basically is the article storage for news so it has lots of files.
Basically the error messages I get during the inn expire operation is
there are a couple failed sectors where the drive cannot successfully
read the sectors.  The LBA is given.  The problem is finding out what
those LBA's are used for.

The drive SMART status show plenty of available spare sectors, but
since it can't read those sectors it won't remap them to a spare
sector till the next write of that sector.  expire basically gives up
when it reaches that error.  So my first attempt was to run a cksum
of all the files on the disk.  That actually cought one of the
sectors and gave me the file name.  I deleted the file and since it
was an overview file for one group, I just rebuilt it.  There are
still more to go though.  That process took many hours.

I have not found anything in the archives or man pages or ports that
addresses identifying the object/file that has that LBA.  So I have
started looking into the ufs structures to see how that could be
done.  fdisk source shows how to access the partition data.  For the
specific disk, fdisk reports a media sector size of 512 and the block
count matches that.  So I assume I would have to subtract the start
of that partition from the LBA.  However, that assumes that the LBA
is in the same 512 byte block numbering system.  I am not convinced
that would always be correct.

Next has to address the bsdlabel.  I am now presuming that the LBA
value of 0 is the start of the drive, not the start of the
partition.  I am not sure if this is correct either.  If so, then
bsdlabel type code would be required to identify the partition.  Then
the start of the partition would need to be subtracted from the LBA.
At that point I think I have the values that would be found in the
block tables in the inodes.

Before digging into the inode structures I though it would be a good
idea to check my understanding to this point.  Am I on the right path?