Need advice for setting up mail server

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:26:04 UTC 2016

Hi, A few days back, I migrated a few Windows systems to FreeBSD at a company that belongs to a friend of mine. My friend likes FreeBSD so much now that he has asked me to see if I can migrate his DNS and mail server in-house on a dedicated FreeBSD system. Currently, these services are being provided by an external agency (using Linux, I believe). My friend has a couple of public IP addresses to spare. About 10 years back, I had set up a qmail server on FreeBSD 5.4. There was a very nice how-to available, and I managed to get qmail serving all on my own. I have no idea what the situation looks like right now - about a year back, things were bad w.r.t. qmail - as per developers, the system was not working as intended on FreeBSD. I am looking for a good advice for some easy-to-setup mail server solution for FreeBSD 10.3. Is qmail still the easiest thing to set up for mail, or there is something better than that ? I keep security concerns for the mail server solution at a low level - for me, the thing has to be easy to set up and maintain, rather than worry too much about eavesdropping/MITM.
Thanks for any advice. Manish Jain