no beep any more (SOLVED)

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Aug 2 15:59:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:46:30 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > El día Tuesday, August 02, 2016 a las 07:36:23AM +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:
 >
 > > I have had a chat in some forum about Chromebooks. The people there are
 > > not willing to help further because "...we only support plain vanilla
 > > ChromeOS at this forum." Full thread here:
 > > https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/-MXyMACfcCU;context-place=forum/chromebook-central
 > >
 > > At least someone pointed out that these devices only have stereo audio
 > > speakers (which do fine in my case) and no other "pc speaker" on
 > > motherboard. As the speakers do fine, this must be some problem in our
 > > FreeBSD kernel / audio driver, not sending the printf '\7' to the audio
 > > device.
 > >

 > Now, as it was clear, that it was not a hardware issue, I found after
 > checking the mixer settings, that we have two sound devices:
 >
 > $ cat /dev/sndstat
 > Installed devices:
 > pcm0: <Intel Haswell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
 > pcm1: <Realtek (0x0283) (Analog 2.0+HP/4ch)> (play/rec) default
 >
 > $ mixer -f /dev/mixer0
 > Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
 >
 > $ mixer
 > Mixer vol      is currently set to  91:91
 > Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer mic      is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
 > Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
 > Mixer monitor  is currently set to  50:50
 > Recording source: mic, monitor
 >
 > setting:
 >
 > $ mixer igain 50
 > Setting the mixer igain from 0:0 to 50:50.
 > $ printf "\7"
 >
 > make it beep
 >
 > $ mixer igain 0
 > Setting the mixer igain from 50:50 to 0:0.
 >
 > switches off the beeping through the stereo speaker; I have no idea what
 > 'igain' has todo with this...

Wow, 10/10 for persistence, Matthias .. and this is something I doubt
anyone would have noticed, even had you shown mixer settings earlier. I
guess they must have just used the mixer igain 'slot' for the speaker.

I'm sure we're all glad you managed to solve it, despite our 'help' :)

Two questions: Do values apart than 50 provide different beep volumes,
or is it off/on?  And does 'kldload speaker ; spkrtest' work with it?

cheers, Ian