no beep any more (SOLVED)

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 2 14:46:48 UTC 2016

El día Tuesday, August 02, 2016 a las 07:36:23AM +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> I have had a chat in some forum about Chromebooks. The people there are
> not willing to help further because "...we only support plain vanilla
> ChromeOS at this forum." Full thread here:
> https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/-MXyMACfcCU;context-place=forum/chromebook-central
>
> At least someone pointed out that these devices only have stereo audio
> speakers (which do fine in my case) and no other "pc speaker" on
> motherboard. As the speakers do fine, this must be some problem in our
> FreeBSD kernel / audio driver, not sending the printf '\7' to the audio
> device.

Now, as it was clear, that it was not a hardware issue, I found after
checking the mixer settings, that we have two sound devices:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel Haswell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <Realtek (0x0283) (Analog 2.0+HP/4ch)> (play/rec) default

$ mixer -f /dev/mixer0
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100

$ mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  91:91
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  50:50
Recording source: mic, monitor

setting:

$ mixer igain 50
Setting the mixer igain from 0:0 to 50:50.
$ printf "\7"

make it beep

$ mixer igain 0
Setting the mixer igain from 50:50 to 0:0.

switches off the beeping through the stereo speaker; I have no idea what
'igain' has todo with this...

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,