no beep any more (SOLVED)

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 2 18:25:56 UTC 2016

El día Wednesday, August 03, 2016 a las 01:59:41AM +1000, Ian Smith escribió:

> Two questions: Do values apart than 50 provide different beep volumes,
> or is it off/on?

You can use any value between 0...100; 50 is to awake all your
colleagues in the office from their dreams, 10 is fine for just noting
that you did something wrong in vim or shell;

> And does 'kldload speaker ; spkrtest' work with it?

with 'kldload speaker' (I compiled even a debug version to understand it)
you get a device /dev/speaker, controlled as well with 'igain' and one can play
tones with something like

# echo CDEFGAB > /dev/speaker

Thanks for supporting me in my persistence

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,