Lost my gnome3/gdm boot-time window

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 05:44:00 UTC 2016

On 23-Apr-16 20:29, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 19:40:28 +0530 Manish Jain <bourne.identity at hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is the CUPS daemon actually running?  Add cupsd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
>>> and run 'service cupsd start'.  Also, CUPS uses its own http server so you
>>> don't need Apache.
>> Thanks for replying.
>>
>> My /etc/rc.conf does have :
>>
>> cupsd_enable="YES"
>>
>> So I presume cupsd is getting started at boot time.
>>
>> This is what I have in /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf :
> I suspect this is for an older version of CUPS.  Try renaming this file
> for now and copy cupsd.conf.sample (in the same directory) to cupsd.conf.
> Then restart cupsd using 'service cupsd restart'.  If that works you can
> enable printer sharing as documented here:
> https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-2.1/sharing.html

Hi Tijl,

'pkg upgrade cups' has led to a loss of some of my gnome3 components and
now the gdm boot-time window has disappeared, on account of which
gnome-session is not starting. I would not like to reinstall the whole
OS, so can you now please help me with fixing this ?

Would you like me to send you the results the list of all installed
packages on my system, as returned by 'pkg info' ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Manish Jain