Does HP DeskJet 1112 work with lpd on FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 ?

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Sat Apr 23 15:00:19 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 19:40:28 +0530 Manish Jain <bourne.identity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/16 18:03, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>>> This is what I get when I try to open up the cups web interface in my
>>> browser even after installing apache24 :

> >> What could I be missing here ? hplip package was installed, along with
>>> all its dependencies.
>>>
>>> This is what I get in dmesg :
>>>
>>> ulpt0: <HP DeskJet 1110 series, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 6> on usbus2
>>> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>>>
>>> So the printer is being detected, just as you stated. A little bit more
>>> help, and I could fire up my printout page. Perhaps something to do with
>>> httpd.conf ? Or perhaps /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf ?
>> Is the CUPS daemon actually running?  Add cupsd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
>> and run 'service cupsd start'.  Also, CUPS uses its own http server so you
>> don't need Apache.
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> My /etc/rc.conf does have :
>
> cupsd_enable="YES"
>
> So I presume cupsd is getting started at boot time.
>
> This is what I have in /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf :

I suspect this is for an older version of CUPS.  Try renaming this file
for now and copy cupsd.conf.sample (in the same directory) to cupsd.conf.
Then restart cupsd using 'service cupsd restart'.  If that works you can
enable printer sharing as documented here:
https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-2.1/sharing.html