BSD Hardware

Shamim Shahriar shamim.shahriar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:50:50 UTC 2016

On 9 Apr 2016 08:20, "JosC" <bsduser at cloudzeeland.nl> wrote:

> Thank you all for the suggested links and responses- it's really an eye
opener.
> My current server is average with no specific purpose other than website,
mail and ftp service. In that respect I am in favor of 1TB minimum disk
capacity. No USB required.

> Indeed, I am running Dell for more than 15 years now and it never let me
down, but I wondered if there are new possibilities with mini's (of other
brands).
> Ran into Brix and Intel NUC5i3RYK alikes but I am not familiar with these
brands (the should be reliable and keep up for minimal three years without
any hardware failures).

> ZFS/SSD is not in the limelight currently - with 3,5" proven to be
reliable and prices for WD Red 1TB+ being very acceptable, I think I stick
to these for the moment.

> In een bericht van 8-4-2016 16:31:
>
>> I am looking for a reliable replacement of my current BSD server.
>> Could someone tell me which mini business pc would fit? NoSSD, but plain
vanilla SATA 2,5 or 3,5 WD Red.

> Will let you know my final choice once being made.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jos Chrispijn

Hello

With that kind of requirement you might as well look into the pcEngines APU
boards. With 4gb ram and space to fit in a 2.5inch sata, it happens to be
one of the lowest power consuming device i have come across.

For completeness, i should also point to certain thin clients with
sufficient ram that are quite capable, depending on your load requirement.

You mentioned usb is not an option, and that is a pity. I'm currently
building a raspberry pi with an external 2.5 inch usb portable drive, that
will do mail, web and local shares for my home (very little to no load for
most of the time). It is a work in progress due to time constraints. But so
far it looks very promising indeed. I'm sure there are others who has
similar setup either for fun or for "production" use at noon trivial usage.

Hope this helps.

All the best.