Boost 1.37 released!

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Nov 3 21:22:00 PST 2008

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:29:42 -0600, Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt at freebsd.org>
wrote:

>> Emanuel,
>>
>> Copying devel/boost to devel/boost-devel sounds reasonable.
>>
>> However, I'd like to suggest moving devel/boost to devel/boost-134 and
>> having devel/boost updated to 1.37. For me '-devel' is always felt like
>> something not stable enough. Another concern is that maintaners of ports
>> that depend on boost would probably slow down the process of updating to
>> 1.37. Forking to old version contains element of intention - it's more
>> clear
>> that devel/boost-134 is something out of date and temporary.
>
> This would involve much more initial work. We have many -devel ports
> that are actually just more recent versions. Once there is a working
> 1.37 port either people will start moving to 1.37, bringing the new
> version to each maintainers attention would help.
>
> At some point devel/boost will become 1.37 and devel/boost-devel will
> then either be removed or updated to a never version.

I disagree with boost-devel; it's no need when the 1.37 is stable. Anyway,
while you guys are working on patch, I would like you guys to use barner's
patch over at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-May/048612.html ..
The most important part is:

----------------------------------
Features:
  - boost and boost-python no longer conflict (boost-python just adds
    the missing bits)
[...]

That is what we need the most.

Cheers,