Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Jason Bacon <bacon4000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:50:30 UTC
On 11/30/21 05:53, Floyd, Paul wrote:
>> Message du 24/11/21 11:08
>> De : "Stefan Blachmann"
>> Port nouveau to FreeBSD.
>>
>> Reason:
>> There are ongoing changes in the xorg API which break older
>> proprietary Nvidia cards' legacy drivers.
>> In addition, Nvidia plans to drop/discontinue support for their 390
>> driver in 2022.
>> Nvidia already stopped support releases for their 340 and older
>> drivers so that a lot of Nvidia graphics cards can no longer be used
>> on FreeBSD already or will be unusable very soon.
>>
>> https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/~/support-timeframes-for-unix-legacy-gpu-releases
>>

> That's bad news that I hadn't seen.
>
> However I'm not sure that porting nouveau will help. My experience on
> Fedora is that nouveau simply never works.
>
> A+
> Paul

If your nVidia cards are basically landfill, like some of mine, and you
don't care about 3D support, xf86-video-nv still works in some case that
would otherwise call for v304.  I wonder if it would be a simple matter
to add support to it for some additional older hardware supported by
v340.  Yes, I know nv is deprecated, but this may be the only solution
for ancient hardware.

--
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes
infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in