Starting Point.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 6 16:54:46 GMT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Wade Klaver wrote:

>   I will take whatever you have at this point.  Even references to some
> writing of a more theoretical nature that does a good job of explaining
> the nature and implementation of trusted systems would be good.  Also,
> if there is a number of these partially complete documents in need of
> consolidation, I could take a shoot at it.  The best stuff I have
> managed to track down comes out of the freebsd-security list archives.
> I just have some funny goings on that I am sure are related to initial
> configuration issues.  If this is not the case, please let me know.
> Things like:
>   When a non-root user issues a 'ls -l', I get things like:
> ls: ./cmp.sh: Operation not supported
> -rw-r--r--  1 wade  wheel       134 Oct 31  2002 cmp.sh
> raised by:
> __acl_get_file(0xbfbfdc90,0x0,0x8052400)         ERR#45 'Operation not
> supported'
>
> Same problems with the FACL stuff:
> root at arch-/home/wade:setfacl -m u:wade:rw c
> setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported

Sounds like a couple of problems:

1. It looks like ls(1) no longer masks the error it gets back to check for
   ACLs if it gets EOPNOTSUPP.  There was a recent change to ls(1) to
   improve performance when checking for the presence of ACLs, so it could
   be a result of that change.

2. It looks like you may not have UFS_ACL compiled into your kernel
   configuration.  This option is required in order to enable ACLs on UFS
   file systems.  Normally, it appears in the GENERIC kernel
   configuration, so you might want to check that it wasn't
   unintentionally removed from your configuration.

3. It's not clear that ACLs are enabled on the file system that you're
   attempting to use them on.

Take a look at the documentation here:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/fs-acl.html

It explains how to configure ACLs on a file system, and check to make sure
that both the kernel configuration and file system configuration are
correct.  If you could also use send-pr(1) to file a bug report for the
ls(1) problem, that would be great.

Thanks!

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research