sway-1.2_1 crashes

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 10 17:54:31 UTC 2019

John Kennedy <warlock at phouka.net> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 04:23:40PM -0700, John Kennedy wrote:
>
>>   In any case, this AM, I crunched up the latest 12.1b3 (r353280), upgraded to
>> this mornings ports (since I saw wlroots bump up), made sure about the DRM
>> driver and have been doing a stress test of sorts.  In this case, a poudriere
>> run of my ~520 ports and getting my load average up to 12+.  Up 2.41 hours
>> so far.  Previous record was more in tens of minutes as I was doing stuff.
>
>   It made it ~24 hours before I screwed it up (alt-shift-F# console switching).
> Looks more like the keyboard was disabled (tested via caps-lock-light test) vs
> any kind of video problem. Have to try your trick next time.

VT switching is broken in Sway, see https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/3612
Other than direct session Sway can use ConsoleKit2 if wlroots is built with
CONSOLEKIT port option enabled. But I don't remember if it helps VT swich issue.

Or did you mean X11? If so try xf86-video-intel + bug 236003 patch + SNA enabled.
Maybe Intel didn't push workarounds for old iGPUs from DDX into kernel.

>   Any idea if previous crashing might fall under llvm90-compiler issues?

i965 unlike iris doesn't use LLVM, so recent LLVM_DEFAULT update should
have no impact on Intel iGPUs. Unless CC/CXX is set by user llvm90 is
mainly used for libraries, not compiler.

> I'm assuming the drm kernel module was fine since X11 seemed happy
> with it.  I'm mostly running the same old X11 apps (xterm, firefox,
> etc) on top of wayland that are fine under X.

No clue. Investigating *why* something went wrong is harder than fixing.
One way is to make snapshots of the working and non-working state then
bisect between those.