sway and libinput initialization failed

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Mon May 27 01:31:17 UTC 2019

On May 27, 2019 3:48:33 AM GMT+03:00, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

>On 26/05/2019 17:54, Greg V wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 5:09 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com>
>wrote:
>>> When I set WLR_LIBINPUT_NO_DEVICES to 1, as suggested, sway seems to
>
>>> be starting fine, i.e. both screens show the SWAY background, dates
>>> are displayed, etc. But of course neither mouse no keyboard work. My
>
>>> motherboard is Asrock X470 TaiChi Ultimate and mouse and keyboard
>are
>>> connected through USB3.
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> 12.0-RELEASE does not have EVDEV_SUPPORT enabled out of the box :( so
>
>> all the drivers not developed for evdev specifically (e.g. wmt is,
>but
>> ums/ukbd/psm/atkbd/etc aren't) do not have evdev support.
>>
>> IIRC, it's on by default in -STABLE, and it will be in 12.1-RELEASE.
>>
>> You have to either switch to a -STABLE snapshot kernel or rebuild a
>> -RELEASE kernel with options EVDEV_SUPPORT. (or switch to -CURRENT of
>
>> course :D)
>>
>> Also it's a good idea to set sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 to make
>> sure you get events from individual devices instead of the
>> virtual/multiplexed things.
>>

>Many thanks Greg. Would it be the same reason why I don't see
>mouse/keyboard enabled during normal X11 session? See my other post. I
>installed KDE and do startx. Keyboard and mouse work fine in the
>console
>mode but as soon as KDE launches the mouse is no longer working. I
>guess
>the X11 server uses the amdgpu driver which may somehow disable input
>devices because of EVDEV? Is that assumption correct? And if yes, would
>
>using a generic CPU-powered graphics solve the keyboard/mouse issue?

No, input is independent of graphics.

Xorg supports the legacy FreeBSD interfaces, you can check the xorg log and xinput list to see if there's any mouse related error, but that's very strange, USB mouse under Xorg has been a very typical situation for ages. I actually don't remember how device autodetection worked on Xorg with moused and whatnot, I've been using Wayland exclusively for over a year now.