sway and libinput initialization failed

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Mon May 27 00:48:42 UTC 2019

On 26/05/2019 17:54, Greg V wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 5:09 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
>> When I set WLR_LIBINPUT_NO_DEVICES to 1, as suggested, sway seems to
>> be starting fine, i.e. both screens show the SWAY background, dates
>> are displayed, etc. But of course neither mouse no keyboard work. My
>> motherboard is Asrock X470 TaiChi Ultimate and mouse and keyboard are
>> connected through USB3.
>
> hi,
>
> 12.0-RELEASE does not have EVDEV_SUPPORT enabled out of the box :( so
> all the drivers not developed for evdev specifically (e.g. wmt is, but
> ums/ukbd/psm/atkbd/etc aren't) do not have evdev support.
>
> IIRC, it's on by default in -STABLE, and it will be in 12.1-RELEASE.
>
> You have to either switch to a -STABLE snapshot kernel or rebuild a
> -RELEASE kernel with options EVDEV_SUPPORT. (or switch to -CURRENT of
> course :D)
>
> Also it's a good idea to set sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 to make
> sure you get events from individual devices instead of the
> virtual/multiplexed things.

Many thanks Greg. Would it be the same reason why I don't see
mouse/keyboard enabled during normal X11 session? See my other post. I
installed KDE and do startx. Keyboard and mouse work fine in the console
mode but as soon as KDE launches the mouse is no longer working. I guess
the X11 server uses the amdgpu driver which may somehow disable input
devices because of EVDEV? Is that assumption correct? And if yes, would
using a generic CPU-powered graphics solve the keyboard/mouse issue?