drm-kmod: AMD Ryzen Vega 8?

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Mon Aug 5 13:07:24 UTC 2019

On 04/08/2019 00:08, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
> I have a question about support for a specific graphics processor.  I
> haven't found the answer anywhere, not even on the wiki page on
> graphics.
>
> I'm trying to run FreeBSD on a new HP desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen 3
> 2200G processor, which includes a Vega 8 graphics processor.  I've
> installed package drm-kmod-g20190710 and loaded module amdgpu, and it
> hangs during boot.
>
> Without loading that module, booting succeeds, but /dev/dri doesn't
> exist and the X server refuses to run.
>
> I've seen the statement that the AMD drivers conflict with the EFI
> frame buffer.  That doesn't apply; I boot FreeBSD through the "legacy"
> mechanism, not through UEFI.
>
> The boot messages say the processor is
>
> CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics     (3493.52-MHz K8-class CPU)
>    Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x810f10  Family=0x17  Model=0x11  Stepping=0
>
> plus a long list of features.
>
> In /boot/modules, I see files whose names include amdgpu_vega10,
> vega12, vega20, and vegam, but not vega8.
>
> Is drm-kmod intended to support Vega 8?  Will it ever?

The comment about conflict with EFI is no longer relevant (it was
fixed). In fact I use EFI and drm-kmod without any problems.

I have a laptop with two graphics cards (radeon + i915) and apparently
drm-kmod isn't able to switch between them. Both are visible with
"pciconf -lv" and recognised by respective modules when I load the
modules manually (kldload after the system has booted) but only i915 can
be used. When using readeon module it's loaded correctly but then
wayland and X11 show error that framebuffer can't be used/switched to.

I would assume that Vega10 and later should support Vega8? I remember
someone posting on this list that they use a CPU with integrated
graphics and it works. Maybe try to search some past posts?

Does your laptop have any other graphic card apart from the one
integrated with CPU, i.e. what do you see with "pciconf -lv | grep vgapci"?

GrzegorzJ