drm-kmod: AMD Ryzen Vega 8?

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Tue Aug 6 08:53:59 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 22:26, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 12:47:22PM +0000, greg at unrelenting.technology wrote:
>
>>> Is drm-kmod intended to support Vega 8? Will it ever?
>> Yes, it's been working fine for multiple people.
> I guess you mean version 5 works, not the current package?
>
>> You should use -CURRENT drm-v5.0 from git, not the packaged 4.16:
>>
>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/tree/drm-v5.0
>>
>> I'm not sure anyone has tried it with legacy boot, btw.
> Well, I saw a statement somewhere -- in the handbook? -- that UEFI
> boot of FreeBSD doesn't work at all, and I saw no claim anywhere I
> looked that it does work.  I guess the documentation is not up to
> date.  Guess I could try it.

UEFI boot works on FreeBSD, it's only the UEFI Secure Boot that doesn't
work yet. It requires the bootloader to be signed with a key known to
UEFI. You would need to disable Secure Boot and just leave UEFI boot in
order to boot FreeBSD.

The other thing that apparently doesn't work with UEFI is switching from
UEFI boot console/fb into amdgpu console/fb. The first needs to be
disabled with a sysctl switch. However, this doesn't affect my desktop
so it seems it's not an universal "doesn't work".

GrzegorzJ