drm-kmod: AMD Ryzen Vega 8?

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Mon Aug 5 15:14:12 UTC 2019

On August 5, 2019 4:07:15 PM GMT+03:00, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
>The comment about conflict with EFI is no longer relevant (it was
>fixed). In fact I use EFI and drm-kmod without any problems.

That just means you're lucky :) no actual solution has been found. On my AMD desktop (Vega 56) with drm v5.0, the driver does load and the framebuffer works always, but starting a Wayland compositor only works with syscons.disable. Without disabling the EFI framebuffer, the system still hangs/crashes when starting the display server.

>I have a laptop with two graphics cards (radeon + i915) and apparently
>drm-kmod isn't able to switch between them.

Dual graphics is an annoying and complicated topic…

With muxless solutions, you never "switch", apps should be able to render on the Radeon and output to i915. PRIME is designed to support this. This should work, probably maybe even on FreeBSD if we're lucky.

The mostly older laptops that use a mux… I *think* that's what vga_switcheroo is for on Linux, and IIRC we don't have that ported at all.

>I would assume that Vega10 and later should support Vega8?

There's a bit of confusing naming here (thanks AMD!)

VEGA10 is the GPU generation in dedicated PCIe cards like "Vega Founders Edition, RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64";

RAVEN is the GPU generation in integrated GPUs in Raven Ridge SoCs, marketed as "Vega 8" etc. (low numbers indicating the number of compute "cores") and IIRC "Vega 10" is one of these numbers too;

VEGA20 is the 7nm refresh in the Radeon VII and the corresponding Instinct datacenter cards.

Raven has worked for sure, IIRC there are reports from both desktop and laptop users. There were various memory faults and other bugs (even on Linux, initially) that never happened on desktop Vega (which is rock solid) but it should be okay with v5.0.