development version of drm kmod

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 23 12:31:08 UTC 2018

On 07/23/18 14:19, Denis Polygalov wrote:
> So now we have drm drivers code located in 5(!) places:
>
> /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/
> /usr/src/sys/dev/drm2/
> /usr/ports/graphics/drm-devel-kmod/
> /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod/
> /usr/ports/graphics/drm-stable-kmod/

Hi!

sys/dev/drm and sys/dev/drm2 are legacy DRM implementations.  They
support other architectures than amd64 as well as some legacy graphics
cards.  The ports are new drm code based on more recent versions of the
linux drivers.  drm-next and drm-stable are different versions, since
some versions of FreeBSD stable lacked the capacity to run drm-next.
drm-devel-kmod is a development version, and currently only works on
CURRENT.  We are discussing how to best handle the different versions.

> plus recent long discussion about what to do
> with the drm code in the kernel source tree
> with unclear (for newbie) conclusion...

I wrote a conclusion and a plan forward for this.  The plan is to move
these to a port as well.

> This page is now even more outdated:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Kernel%20development%20workflow
> BTW dead link here: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics
>
> It will be more helpful if someone briefly describe difference
> between 5 branches above and and future plans for each of them
> in one place...

Yes, the documentation badly needs an update.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising