How to run (if possible at all) Wayland compositor on FreeBSD without Xorg

Denis Polygalov dpolyg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:39:47 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have:
11.2-RELEASE +
drm-stable-kmod +
graphics/mesa-libs compiled from ports with Wayland support enabled +
graphics/wayland installed from packages +
graphics/qt5-wayland compiled from ports
Weston compiled from source manually.

I am able to run Weston or minimal Wayland compositor from
qt5-wayland examples, but only if I do this from inside
of Xorg session (xterm).
Attempt to run from console lead to: "Could not connect to any X
display" error message.
As far as I understand this calling syntax:
$ ./some_exe -platform wayland
is intended to be used only for Wayland *clients* not compositors.

Is it possible to run any Wayland *compositor* without Xorg running?
How this configured? Which software is responsible for this?
Sorry if this is wrong place to ask...

Regards,
Denis.