End of year Xorg status rant

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Sun Jan 1 15:37:05 UTC 2017

Interesting discussion; thank you for all comments.
I have several questions:

* Is TrueOS/PC-BSD ahead of FreeBSD on the Desktop? If so, why? The answer is probably "depends on the card", but again, is it ahead of FreeBsd for certain cards and why? If it's because they have integrated Matt's work, why has FreeBSD not opted to do so?

* Does the problem have anything to do with the Kernel Compat Layer for Linux (https://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel)? I'm asking to understand the extent of the issue.

* Other than that, perhaps we could try and slice this problem in the short term from another angle:
Which GPU cards work (and are expected to work with new hardware) as of now? If anything, this discussion shows that the Graphics Wiki page (https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics) is inadequate for GPU selection. Perhaps it could be updated to a parametrised format showing functions by column each GPU card supports (rather than simply works"/"does not work").

For example, as an immediate solution to my problem I would prefer (as I assume most others would) to purchase a new card that is confirmed to be working on multiple parameters rather than slog through a "hopefully soon" scenario for the next couple of years (I'm not on a laptop, btw).

I'm still willing to contribute, but above solution would at least reduce frustration and increase my productivity. New systems would also benefit by selecting decent cards and reducing noise to the developers/list.

Regards.