MacBook Pro 11,3 Nvidia Drivers

Hartmann, O. ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 6 05:09:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 20:53:34 -0700
Conrad Meyer <cem at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried changing 'nvidia_load="YES"' to
> 'nvidia-modeset_load="YES"'?  It's documented in UPDATING and
> pkg-message, but I understand this is a surprising change.  At least
> one other user has reported a garbled screen on 367.44, but I don't
> know what hardware they had.
>
> Best,
> Conrad
>
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:39 PM, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I seem to be having issues recently when I build nvidia-driver from
> > ports.
> >
> > Installing 346.44 from pkg works fine but If I go and install
> > 367.44 from ports then my screen gets garbled and the nvidia driver
> > doesn't seem to get loaded, even though nvidia_load="YES" is still
> > in /boot/loader.con but if I revert back to 346.44 then things work
> > again.
> >
> > Is this a known issue? How can I fix/ avoid this?

Prior to 367.35, I also ran into an garbled screen issue once with the
new modeset driver. This happened on all nVidia Quadro based cards we
have around here, at least that built into my workstation, a Quadro
NV315, one of the low-end Quadros nVidia offers. But that has gone with
the most recent series of divers.

The garbled console is still with consumer GPUs (GTX 960, GTX 560Ti)
when using UEFI with required vt() console driver. The above mentioned
Quadro boards have a black console - no garbled, no distorted screen so
far but black. This goes away immediately after unloading the
nvidia_modeset.ko kernel module.

Kind regards,

Oliver