[RFC] Embed the mesa version in the library/binary name

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 14:29:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-14 at 23:00 +0100, Emil Velikov wrote:

> Hmm guess I should have included this example in the original email
> :)
> $ ls -la /usr/lib/libGL*.so*
> libGLESv1_CM.so -> libGLESv1_CM.so.11.1
> libGLESv1_CM.so.1 -> libGLESv1_CM.so.11.1
> libGLESv1_CM.so.11.1
> libGLESv2.so -> libGLESv2.so.11.1
> libGLESv2.so.2 -> libGLESv2.so.11.1
> libGLESv2.so.11.1
> libGL.so -> libGL.so.11.1
> libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.11.1
> libGL.so.11.1

abrt already looks up package versions in bug reports, so this is
solving a problem I'm not having. Meh.

I really, really don't like "libGL.so.11" as a filename, it gives the
impression that that's a real soname. libGL.so.1.11 would be better.
There's at least one (incredibly boneheaded, cough, enlightenment,
cough) piece of software out there that tries dlopen("libGL.so.4")
etc., I'd prefer us not to contribute to that kind of misconception.

- ajax