[RFC] Embed the mesa version in the library/binary name

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sun Aug 16 08:53:49 UTC 2015

Hi Emil

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 04:21:10PM +0100, Emil Velikov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Emil and I'm the person breaking^w fixing mesa's build
> amongst others.
>
> A while back I had this idea of renaming the libraries provided by
> mesa to include the actual version number. Prior to doing anything
> "crazy" I've decided to seek your feedback.

Thanks for informing us beforehand!

> * What
> The idea is to rename (ideally) all of the versioned libraries.
> Unversioned ones such as radeonsi_dri.so will remain as is.
>
> Note: the soname and symlinks will stay to avoid breaking compatibility.

+1

> * How
> While I haven't fully decided on the exact approach I'm thinking of
> something like:
> libGL.so.1.0.0 -> libGL.so.11.0 or libGL.so.110.1 or libGL.so.11.01

libGL.so.11.0

> * Why
> A number of reasons:
> - Allows multiple binaries to coexist, making the dynamic switching
> between libGL.so.110.1, libGL.so.11.2.0 (mesa), libGL.so.352.14
> (nvidia) libGL.so.XX.Y (another vendor) a little bit easier.

About nvidia. Benefit is small, since NVIDIA replaces half of the driver stack
anyway (e.g. glx Xserver module). So you still need to make sure the right glx
Xserver module is being loaded. Also the right kernel module (KMS or nvidia).
And ldconfig creates the right symlink for libGL.so.1 ...

> How does this sound, do you foresee any pros/cons with the above
> proposal ? Any and all input is greatly appreciated, but please try to
> keep your replies technical and constructive.

I don't see any regression in the change.

> If there are any concerns wrt the required updates (of the
> build/packaging recipes) I'm willing to help out.

Thanks for the offer, although I don't expect any issues here.

> As I'm not sure how many of you follow mesa-dev, would you be OK if I
> CC you in distro related~ish topics.
> Some (not so crazy) examples:
> - libEGL.so has additional dependency (via libdl) of X
> - OpenCL only works with render node devices, kernel vY or later is required
> - Mesa's new library libfoo.so should be shipped with libbar.so

Cc'ing me in such topics would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany