"Radeon HD 4200": e17 and gdm3 not working

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 24 22:27:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:56:11PM -0700, Beeblebrox wrote:
> Can anyone give me an idea for where to look and how to start some debugging?

Start with the system logfiles. Look for any out-of-the ordinary
messages. Make sure that you're not running out of memory.

> At high HDD load (poudriere job) I am getting system lock-ups. First the web
> browser freezes, then the whole screen, finally the whole system lock-up
> (numlock / capslock stops responding). At this point I end up having to cut
> the power to box.

If you can connect a second system (e.g. a laptop) with an ethernet
cable, you could try to ssh in and kill the X server (if that is what
is causing the trouble)

If possible, run poudriere at a low scheduling priority to keep the
system responsive.

> This will end up damaging my hardware, so I would really like to get to the
> bottom of this urgently.

I've found that with lockups there is a distinct possibility of
hardware failure. Maybe the CPU temperature gets too high, or the PSU
just cannot handle the amount of power the system requires. Use a
hardware monitor like e.g. mbmon to log system temperatures, voltages &c.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/