Proposition to make nvidia driver stop overwritting files

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 28 04:20:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 03:16:23PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a way to make nvidia drivers stop overwriting files
> namely libGL.so.1 and libglx.so.

Hello Baptiste, and sorry for belated reply.

> Why stop overwriting files is important to me?  [ Well-known facts about
> difficulties about upgrading xorg+libgl+nvidia-driver that require manual
> interaction skipped. ]

I understand your point.  Yes, current solution is far from ideal.  E.g. I
am not even sure portupgrade can upgrade that bundle correctly.  However, I
am also not sure that this cannot be achieved by some dependency magic.
Modulo the inconsistent pkgdb...

> I have modified rtld so that libmap.conf is now aware of 2 new directives:
> include and includedir this is in current and have been MFCed into 9 no MFC
> to 8 planned for now as it depends on previous modifications of rtld which
> were not MFC to 8 yet.

Thanks for not touching 8.x.  This is probably the last known branch that
currently more or less reliably works (the trend was broken Januaryish).

> What I would love to see is: nvidia drivers no more installing libGL.so.1
> and libglx.so files but instead of that install libGL-nvidia.so.1 and
> libglx-nvidia.so.1

I must say I am not entirely convinced this is the best approach.  How usable
is to have two (three?..) libGL implementations for a non-developer?  I was
thinking that maybe I can avoid having libGL as a dependency, so users would
have to install either one or another, but not both.

Include-dances in libmap.conf are standard way in freenix world to solve
problems like this one, but right now I see this scenario happening on a
developer's box rather that on user's.  User would probably just want single
libGL+friends implementation that best suits his/her gfx card.

./danfe