[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 16 09:37:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 12:14 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2010-Mar-11 14:44:14 +0100, Martin Wilke <miwi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >Please report any problems and issus to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.
>
> The upgraded Xorg fails to work for my $work desktop (dual monitors on
> an ATI RV380 / Radeon X600) using the radeon driver.  (The radeonhd
> driver does not support the GPU).

x600 is an r300 based chip, so not radeonhd...  I also don't recommend
using the radeonhd driver unless you have specific need for a feature
which only exists in radeonhd.  AFAIK, the only thing is HDMI Audio
support.  radeonhd is maintained separately and not by AMD directly.
Some time ago, it did have better support for the new chips, but that
time has long passed and the radeon driver will run all chips.

> Without any xorg.conf:
> - it reports it is unable to load module "fbdev".  xorg-server-1.7.5,1
>   installs lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.{la,so} but this is never
>   accessed.
> - Both screens come up in 1024x768 mirror mode (though the native
>   resolution reported by the monitors is 1280x1024).  It isn't possible
>   to switch to dual screen mode using xrandr.

I generally don't recommend running without a config.  If it works for
you, great, but if you don't have a config, it tries to load every
module to see what works.  This means that it is critical that all of
your modules are up to date and don't conflict in any way...  I suggest
running at least a minimal Xorg.conf.  Generally, that which is
generated from X -configure is fine.

> Using my previous xorg.conf (which works with Xorg 7.4), both screens
> start correctly (with all the windows in the LH screen) but as soon as
> I move a window into the RH screen, both screens get corrupted and it
> looks like that window area is mirrored across both screens with about
> 1/3 screen horizontal offset.  Moving another window on the LH screen
> and then moving focus to a window in the RH screen it to update to match
> its ghost on the LH screen.  (I have a poor-quality picture of the
> resultant mess but it won't go through the mailing list).
>
> Photo, xorg.conf and Xorg.log files available on request.

I don't have enough displays or room for displays these days, so I
normally run single headed.  Keep in mind that I have 5 dev machines
surrounding me right now, so display availability is at a premium.  I'll
plug in an x600 this weekend and give it a go multi-head.

For the most part, single vs multi head should not matter.  The xrandr
system does interact per-head, but (at least without TTM) you still have
a single frame buffer that covers both displays.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD