[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue Mar 16 01:14:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-Mar-11 14:44:14 +0100, Martin Wilke <miwi at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>Please report any problems and issus to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.

The upgraded Xorg fails to work for my $work desktop (dual monitors on
an ATI RV380 / Radeon X600) using the radeon driver.  (The radeonhd
driver does not support the GPU).

Without any xorg.conf:
- it reports it is unable to load module "fbdev".  xorg-server-1.7.5,1
  installs lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.{la,so} but this is never
  accessed.
- Both screens come up in 1024x768 mirror mode (though the native
  resolution reported by the monitors is 1280x1024).  It isn't possible
  to switch to dual screen mode using xrandr.

Using my previous xorg.conf (which works with Xorg 7.4), both screens
start correctly (with all the windows in the LH screen) but as soon as
I move a window into the RH screen, both screens get corrupted and it
looks like that window area is mirrored across both screens with about
1/3 screen horizontal offset.  Moving another window on the LH screen
and then moving focus to a window in the RH screen it to update to match
its ghost on the LH screen.  (I have a poor-quality picture of the
resultant mess but it won't go through the mailing list).

Photo, xorg.conf and Xorg.log files available on request.

Any suggestions?

On the positive side, X does start and stop cleanly (without destroying
the console).

--
Peter Jeremy