Add a dependency on xclock

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Dec 23 11:50:16 UTC 2010

Kevin Lo wrote:
 > Sometimes I only installed the xorg metaport x11/xorg on my FreeBSD.
 > When I quit the X window, there's a message on the console:
 >
 > /usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: xclock: not found
 >
 > I think it makes sense to add dependency on xclock, what do you think?

There are dozens of different clocks in ports/x11-clocks.
I don't think it makes sense to install one of them by
default just because it's mentioned as an example in the
xinitrc template.  If someone really wants the "classic"
xclock (I'm trying to avoid the word "ancient"), he can
install it himself.  This should be a conscious decision,
not an automatism.

In my opinion, the xorg meta port already installs many
things that most people never need.  Personally, I have
stopped using the meta port and install only the parts
that I need.  This is a little more work in the beginning,
but it saves time in the long run when keeping things up
to date.  On my workstation, it cut down the number of
packages by about 200 (from 700 down to 500).

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  In fact I _did_ install the ancient xclock on purpose,
because it's leight-weight and it's a very good fit with
my window manager (olvwm).  But I'm probably an exception
(proof for that is the fact that nobody cared to make xview
and olvwm 64bit-clean for amd64, so I still have to run
i386 on my workstation).  Sorry, I digress ...

"And believe me, as a C++ programmer, I don't hesitate to question
the decisions of language designers.  After a decent amount of C++
exposure, Python's flaws seem ridiculously small." -- Ville Vainio