Problems With xorg 7.2

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue May 29 05:14:31 UTC 2007

System:  FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386 SMP
MOBO:    Intel 946GZIS + 3.2Ghz Pentium D + 2G memory

I just finally managed to muddle through the upgrade to xorg 7.2.
(Though not noted in the docs in /usr/ports/UPDATING, I had to
do a 'make install' for /usr/ports/x11/xorg to get the installation
to complete after the upgrade.  Without this step, I had no video,
mouse, or keyboard drivers.  I had installed X originally from the
6.2-RELEASE CD so I guess I assumed - wrongly - that the upgrade
would pickup everything needed.  Is this normal or did I miss a
step somewhere along the way?)

Three problems remain:

1) After doing the portupgrades as explained in the doc, I ran it
    one last time to make sure all was well and saw this:

    Stale dependency: xf86-input-acecad-1.1.0 --> xkeyboard-config-0.9_2
    -- manually run 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.

    Is this significant and/or what causes it/fixes it?  I am new
    to portupgrade, having always done this sort of thing by hand
    in the past.

2) When I startup X - especially with xfce4 - now and then, the background
    will come up and the screen will do a sort of slow flash - about
    once a second.  If I kill the X server and restart, the problem
    goes away and I get normal operation.

3) Things work OK with VESA driver, but I cannot seem to get things to
    work with the i810 driver (Intel 946GZIS mobo + 3.2Ghz Pentium D):

Release Date: 22 January 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD troll.tundraware.com 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-ST
ABLE #2: Mon May 28 02:01:41 CDT 2007     toor at troll.tundraware.com:/usr/obj/usr
/src/sys/SMP i386
Build Date: 28 May 2007
         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue May 29 00:00:01 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
(EE) I810(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low ??

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Ideas and suggestions welcome and TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com